Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Card A Day

Over the summer we were fortunate to have about 6 weeks to live in WNY with Nathan's Aunt Linda.  I don't think there was a day that I didn't see her mailing at least one card to someone--more often there were a few.  Having been a part of his family for almost 8 years, we have been the recipients of several of these cards and packages.  They are always encouraging and we are always appreciative of them. 
Last February our church, did a series entitled "I Prefer Sticks and Stones," and one of the messages talked about how powerful your words can be in building people up.  Then, this fall there was a message on building disciplines.  Our pastor challenged us to practice habits that build the character traits you desire in yourself.  If you want to be more thankful and grateful, then practice things that build gratitude and thankfulness. 
I watched Julie and Julia last week and thought it was interesting how the lead character, Julie, used her blog to keep track of her project and gain support through an online community.  Both of the women in the movie had the support of their husbands, as do I (which will be important as this project continues). 
So, that brings me to now...this isn't a New Year's Resolution.  It is practicing two specific character traits so that in a month or six months or a year, I can look back and say I am more grateful/thankful and more encouraging then I was in December of 2009.
So, my plan is to write a card a day to someone in my life who I need to encourage in a specific way or that I need to thank in a specific way.  I started yesterday with a thankful note.  Today is another thankful note.  Tomorrow is an encourager.
I will keep you up to date.  ; )

1 comment:

The Arnold Family said...

Good idea, just remember to write something in the card when you send it and not send something blank. That may be confusing :)