Monday, January 12, 2009

Working Out

Ashley and I decided to join a gym together. It is perfect because it is right between where we live. We thought we could get in shape together and hold each other accountable for working out. We have been at it for about a month.
We have had a few funny stories:
I convinced Ashley to take a step box class with me. I knew I would have a leg up on her because I did it in high school and took a class in college. (BTW, neither of us are very coordinated--so just being in the class is hilarious! One of us is almost always falling off of the box.) It works like this- you start with the foot work and then add the hands. They will teach you one segment, teach you the next and then another. Then you put them all together. Well, I get the footwork down (and am feeling pretty smug) and then the instructor shows us the hands and I am only half paying attention because the footwork sequence is the same as a routine I learned in high school. I add my hands (still not paying attention). My hands are in the air making huge circles. Everyone else is pushing theirs in and out! Oops! I guess I should pay better attention.
Another time we were in step class and the music is very up beat so that you can feel the energy and get excited! I don't really know any of the music because it isn't in the genres I frequently listen to. Well, I have decided I must really pay attention this time (don't want to mess up like last time). The words to the song say, "If you're pretty make some noise. If you're pretty make some noise. Hhhuuuhhh! Hhhhuuuuhhh!" So the instructor says, "Let me hear you! If you're pretty make some noise. Raise your hands!" I think that means everyone is going to do it. So I raise my hands and make some sort of "hhhuhh, hhhuhhh" sound. Then I realize that I am the only one who did it. The instructor says, "That's right. You in the back--you're pretty!" But it was a pity comment. So embarrassing!
Then there is the story about Ashley doing push ups...but I cannot post that without her permission! Maybe she will post it in the comments? Anyone else have any embarassing work out stories?

3 comments:

The Arnold Family said...

That is hilarious! I used to be in a step class in college and there was this old lady (I am talking 70's) and every time we did sit ups she would pass gas. Everyone ignored it but me and my friend and I would turn red trying not to laugh. I never could do sit ups in that class because I was too busy trying not to bust out laughing.

The Wells of Morrisville said...

Okay Becky, that is too funny about the singing. . .I'm laughing out loud right now. Anyway, that is AWESOME that you joined a gym!!! A year ago, I decided that I was going to do step aerobics. I had Matt meet someone in Apex, off of Craigslist, to get the step for me, though he never thought I would use it. Yeah. . .it's in the closest. . .no coordination whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

I suppose you can publish my story. But don't forget to tell about the wonderful people we see at the gym, like the jump rope lady or the man that works out in jean shorts. And of course your personal favorite SPARKLES!! Oh the gym....